For electronic reserves…
Homewood Patrons may access electronic reserves from: Eisenhower Course Readings
SAIS Patrons may access electronic reserves from their course pages in Blackboard
Welch Patrons may access electronic reserves from: Welch E-Reserves
Patrons with questions regarding access to electronic reserves should email or speak to their home library.
1. The complete works of Montaigne: essays, travel journal, letters Book , Print in English
PH3642.E5 F7 1957 c. 1Checked out
2. The conquest of the soul: confessions, discipline, and public order in Counter-Reformation Milan Book , Print in English
BX1547.M5 B64 2001 c. 1Checked out
3. Divided by faith: religious conflict and the practice of toleration in early modern Europe Book , Print in English
BL640.K37 2007 c. 1Available2007 .Obstacles -- A holy zeal -- Corpus christianum -- Flashpoints -- One faith, one law, one king -- Arrangements -- The gold coin -- Crossing borders -- Fictions of privacy -- Sharing churches, sharing power -- Interactions -- A friend to the person -- Transgressions -- Infidels…
5. The expulsion of the Moriscos from Spain: a Mediterranean diaspora Book , Print in English2014 .The expulsion of the Moriscos from Spain (1609-1614) represents an important episode of ethnic, political and religious cleansing which affected about 300,000 persons. The controversial measure was legimitized by an ideology of religious and political unity that served to defend…
DP104 .M6713 2014 c. 1Checked out
6. Governing the tongue: the politics of speech in early New England Book , Print in English1997 ."Governing the Tongue explains why the spoken word assumed such importance in the culture of early New England. Author Jane Kamensky re-examines such famous events as the Salem witch trials and the banishment of Anne Hutchinson - as well as the little-known words of unsung…
PE2906.K36 1997 c. 1Checked out
7. Governing the tongue: the politics of speech in early New England Online in English
8. Homosexuality in Renaissance England Book , Print in English1982 .Alan Bray's Homosexuality in Renaissance England is a milestone work, one of those rare books that can be said to have virtually inaugurated a field of study--and one which remains a standard, comprehensive introduction to the subject. Examining the image of the sodomite in…
HQ76.2.G7 B69 1995 c. 1Checked out
BR1610.M26 2006 c. 1Checked out
10. Lesbians in early modern Spain Book , Online in English
11. Lesbians in early modern Spain Book , Print in English2011 .1. Naming the Silent Sin -- 2. Legal Medical and Religious Approaches to Lesbians in Early Modern Spain -- 3. Criminal Lesbians -- 4. Transgender Lesbian Celebrities -- 5. Special Friendships in the Convent -- 6. Lesbian Desire on Center Stage -- 7. Looking Like a Lesbian.
Eisenhower B LevelHQ75.6.S72 V45 2011 c. 1Recall
12. Milton and toleration Book , Print in English2007 .Revising Whig accounts -- Milton and the European contexts of toleration/ Nigel Smith -- Toleration and the specter of heresy in Milton's England / David Loewenstein -- John Milton, Roger Williams, and the limits of toleration / Thomas N. Corns…
PR3588.M483 2007 c. 1Checked out
13. Milton and toleration Book , Online in English2007 .15 leading scholars examine the idea of toleration in Milton's poetry & prose. Looking at how Milton himself imagined tolerance & locating his works in their literary, historical, & philosophical context, the essays address central issues including violence, heresy, church…
14. Montaigne's politics: authority and governance in the Essais Book , Print in English2008 ."Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592) is principally known today as a literary figure - the inventor of the modern essay and the pioneer of autobiographical self-exploration who retired from politics in midlife to write his private, philosophical, and apolitical Essais. But, as…
PQ1643.F65 2008 c. 1Available
15. The myth of ritual murder: Jews and magic in Reformation Germany Book , Print in English1988 .
BM585.2 .H741 1988 c. 1Checked out
16. The Night Battles (RLE Witchcraft): Witchcraft and Agrarian Cults in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries Book , Online in English
17. The night battles: witchcraft & agrarian cults in the sixteenth & seventeenth centuries Book , Print in English , Italian1983 .
BL980.I8 G5613 1983 c. 2Checked out
18. Political writings Book , Print in English1993 .
JC153.L79 2003 c. 1Checked out
19. Politics of religious freedom Book , Print in English2015 .Religious freedom has achieved broad consensus as a condition for peace. Faced with reports of a rise in religious violence and a host of other social ills, public, and private actors have responded with laws and policies designed to promote freedom of religion. But what…
BL65.P7 P64235 2015 c. 1Available
20. The problem of unbelief in the sixteenth century, the religion of Rabelais Book , Print in English , French1982 .
PH3697.R4 F413 1982 c. 1Checked out
21. The Reformation: a very short introduction Book , Print in English2009 ."The Reformation transformed Europe, and left an indelible mark on the modern world. But what was the Reformation? A force for progress, liberty, and modernity, or for conflict, division, and repression? Over the course of two centuries the relationships between Church and State,…
BR305.3.M37 2009 c. 1Available
22. Thinking with demons: the idea of witchcraft in early modern Europe Book , Print in English1997 .1. Witchcraft and Language -- 2. Festivals and Sabbats -- 3. Dual Classification -- 4. Contrariety -- 5. Inversion -- 6. The Devil, God's Ape -- 7. Witchcraft and Wit-Craft -- 8. Women and Witchcraft -- 9. Unstable Meanings -- 10. Witchcraft and Science…
Eisenhower C LevelBF 1584 .E9 C57 1997 c. 1Recall
23. Thinking with demons: the idea of witchcraft in early modern Europe Book , Online in English1997 .Dr Clark offers an interpretation of the witchcraft beliefs of European intellectuals of the period, based on their publication in the field of demonology. This work will increase our understanding of the cultural history of early modern Europe.
24. Turks, Moors, and Englishmen in the age of discovery Book , Print in English1999 .Presents data about Anglo-Islamic social and historical interactions. This book provides a unique direction in the study of England's geographic imagination. It illuminates the subtleties and interchangeability of stereotype, racism, and demonization that must be taken into…
DS63.2.G7 M38 1999 c. 2Checked out
25. The witchcraft sourcebook Book , Print in English2015 .Witchcraft and magic in the ancient world -- The medieval foundations of witch-hunting -- Witch beliefs in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries -- The trial and punishment of witches -- Witchcraft trials in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries…
BF1566.W58 2015 c. 1Available
26. The witchcraft sourcebook Book , Print in English2004 .note: Pt. I Witchcraft and magic in the Ancient World -- 1. witch of Endor -- 2. sorcery trial in the second century CE -- 3. Curse tablets against Roman charioteers -- 4. Apuleius: the power of witches -- 5. Horace: Canidia as a witch figure -- 6. Love magic in antiquity…
Eisenhower C LevelBF1566.W58 2004 c. 1Recall
27. The writings of William Walwyn Book , Print in English1989 .
DA407.W35 A2 1989 c. 1Checked out