Book , Print in English
Ours to lose : when squatters became homeowners in New York City
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2016.
- 318 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesHD7287.96.U62 N7775 2016 c. 1Available
- Squatter settlements — New York (State) — New York.
- Squatters — New York (State) — New York.
- Occupancy (Law) — New York (State) — New York — History — 21st century.
- Occupancy (Law) — New York (State) — New York — History — 20th century.
- Occupancy (Law) — Social aspects.
- Home ownership — Social aspects.
- Squatters — New York (State) — New York — Attitudes.
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.) — History — 21st century.
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.) — History — 20th century.
- Introduction. Casa del Sol; Why study squatting? ; The research and writing: oral history and ethnography ; Structure of the work
- From drug murder to door ceremony: claiming buildings, building claims. April 1984: Opening 539 ; Disinvestment, abandonment, and the social roots of squatting ; Urban homesteading: property, labor, and rights
- Who deserves housing? The battle for East Thirteenth Street. Life on East Thirteenth Street: 1984-94 ; Low-income housing versus the squatters ; Making claims through adverse possession
- Making the deal: debating the values of housing. The negotiations ; The details of the deal ; The debates
- Why work? The values of labor. Building community: labor and value ; Bureaucracy, labor, and power
- Making claims on the past and the future: debt, kinship, history, and the temporality of homeownership. Claims on the self: debt, freedom, and social personhood ; Claims on one another: from family to co-op ; Claims on the neighborhood: history, space, and identity ; Conclusion.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780226399805 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 022639980X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226399942 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 022639994X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2016007545
- OCLC: 940455305
- OCLC: 940455305