Book , Print in English
Non-places : introduction to an anthropology of supermodernity
- London ; New York : Verso, 2008.
- 2nd English language ed.
- xxii, 98,  pages ; 21 cm
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower B LevelGN345.A92513 2008 c. 2Checked outChecked out, Due: Feb 22 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.Eisenhower M Level ReservesGN345.A92513 2008 c. 1Available
- Also known as
- Uniform Title: Non-lieux. English
- "Shopping malls, motorways, airport lounges - we are all familiar with these curious spaces which are both everywhere and nowhere. But only now do we have a coherent analysis of their far-reaching effects on public and private experience. Marc Auge has become their anthropologist, and has written a timely and original book." "An ever-increasing proportion of our lives is spent in supermarkets, airports and hotels, on motorways or in front of TVs, computers and cash machines. This invasion of the world by what Marc Auge calls "non-space" results in a profound alteration of awareness: something we perceive, but only in a partial and incoherent manner. Auge uses the concept of "supermodernity" to describe a situation of excessive information and excessive space. In this fascinating essay he seeks to establish an intellectual armature for an anthropology of supermodernity."--Jacket.
- Introduction to the second edition
- The near and the elsewhere
- Anthropological place
- From places to non-places
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (page 99).
- Additional form
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2009293615
- OCLC: 313079928
- OCLC: 313079928