Book , Print in English
Jailcare : finding the safety net for women behind bars
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Notice: ©2017
- xii, 311 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Institute of the History of Medicine Books - Stack Level 8, Welch LibraryHV8738 .S84 2017 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Feb 23 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "Thousands of pregnant women pass through our nation's jails every year. What happens to them as they gestate their pregnancies in a space of punishment? Based on ethnographic fieldwork and clinical work as an Ob/Gyn in a women's jail, Carolyn Sufrin explores how, in this time when public safety is in disarray and when incarceration has become a central strategy for managing the poor, jail has become a safety net. Focusing on the experiences of pregnant, incarcerated women as well as on the practices of the jail guards and health providers who care for them, Jailcare describes the contradictory ways that care and maternal identity emerge within a punitive space presumed to be devoid of care. Sufrin argues that jail is not simply a disciplinary institution that serves to punish. Rather, when understood in the context of the poverty, addiction, violence, and racial oppression that characterize these women's lives and their reproduction, jail can become a safety net for women on the margins of society"--Provided by publisher.
- Institutional burden to care
- Triaging the everyday, every day
- Cultivating ambiguity : normalizing care in the jail clinic
- The clinic routine : contradictions as care
- Gestating care : incarcerated reproduction as participatory practice
- Reproduction and carceral desire
- Custody as forced and enforced intimacy
- At home in jail.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Additional form
- Alternate version: 9780520963559
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2016054036
- OCLC: 962244465
- OCLC: 962244465