Book , Online in English
Mirabilia vrbis Romae : The marvels of Rome, or a picture of the golden city : an English version of the medieval guide-book with a supplement of illustrative matter and notes
by Francis Morgan Nichols.
- London : Ellis and Elvey ; Rome : Spithoever, 1889.
- xxxiii, 205 pages : illustrations; 20 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
- This reproduction
- Electronic reproduction. Marlborough, England : Adam Matthew Digital, c2009 (The grand tour)
- Also known as
- Uniform Title: Mirabilia Romae. English.
- Mirabilia urbis Romae
- Marvels of Rome
- pt. I. Of the foundation of Rome, and of her chief monuments
- pt. II. Divers histories touching certain famous places and images in Rome
- pt. III. A perambulation of the city
- Mirabiliana. pt. I. The marvels of Roman churches [A. D. 1375] ; pt. II. A description of Rome by Benjamin of Tudela, an Hebrew traveller, about A.D. 1170 ; pt. III. Ordo romanus ; pt. IV. Three records ; pt. V. Description of the medieval plan of Rome at the end of the volume, and of the frontispiece
- Other information
- "Ordo romanus" consists of extracts from the Politicus Benedicti Canonici, written before 1143. The "Three records" are (1) Grant of the Capitoline Hill to the Abbey of St. Mary in the Capitol: extract from a bull of Pope Anaclete II (about 1130) cited in a bull of Pope Innocent IV, 1252; (2) Grant to the church of St. Sergius and Bacchus, of half the Arch of Severus and other property. Extract from a bull of Pope Innocent III, 1199; (3) Table of relics at the Basilica of the Lateran.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Custodian: Private Library of Edward Chaney