Book , Print in English
ICT4D : information and communication technology for development
general editor, Tim Unwin.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- xiv, 386 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm.
SAIS Main StacksHC59.72 .I55 I54 2009Available
- "ICT4D provides an authoritative and accessible account of the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in contemporary development practice. It combines theory with practical guidance - including both a conceptual framework for understanding the rapid development of ICT4D, and practitioners' overviews of the use of ICTs in enterprise, health, governance, education and rural development. Boxed case studies provide detailed examples of issues and initiatives from a wide variety of countries and organisations." "ICTs are becoming increasingly significant in making a difference and improving the impacts of development practice. However, ICT4D projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America have not always been as effective as their proponents had hoped. This book explores both the successes and the challenges facing such initiatives, and provides clear recommendations for how they can be developed in more sustainable ways for the benefit of poor people and marginalised communities."--Jacket.
- note: Pt. 1 Contextual framework
- 2. Development agendas and the place of ICTs / Tim Unwin
- 3. Information and communication in development practices / Tim Unwin
- 4. technologies: identifying appropriate solutions for development needs / Tim Unwin
- 5. ICT-ID implementation: policies and partnerships / Tim Unwin
- Pt. 2 Practical applications
- 6. ICTs, enterprise and development / Michael L. Best / Charles Kenny
- 7. ICT in education: catalyst for development / Michelle Selinger
- 8. E-health: information and communication technologies for health / S. Yunkap Kwankam / Ariel Pablos-Mendez / Misha Kay
- 9. E-government and e-governance / James Guida / Martin Crow
- 10. Information and communication technologies for rural development / Bob Day / Peter Greenwood.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780521712361 (pbk.)
- 052171236X (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 258082081
- OCLC: 258082081