Book , Print in English
The ground between : anthropologists engage philosophy
Veena Das, Michael Jackson, Arthur Kleinman, and Bhrigupati Singh, editors.
- Durham ; London : Duke University Press, 2014.
- viii, 351 pages ; 23 cm
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesGN33 .G76 2014 c. 1Available
- Introduction: experiments between anthropology and philosophy: affinities and antagonisms / Veena Dasm Michael Jackson, Arthur Kleinman, and Bhrigupati Singh
- 1. Ajala's heads: reflections on anthropology and philosophy in a West African setting / Michael Jackson
- 2. The parallel lives of philosophy and anthropology / Didier Fassin
- 3. The difficulty of kindness: boundaries, time, and the ordinary / Clara Han
- 4. Ethnography in the way of theory / João Biehl
- 5. The search for wisdom: why William James still matters / Arthur Kleinman
- 6. Eavesdropping on Bourdieu's philosophers / Ghassan Hage
- 7. How concepts make the world look different: affirmative and negative genealogies of thought / Bhrigupati Singh
- 8. Philosophia and anthropologia: reading alongside Benjamin in Yazd, Derrida in Qum, Arendt in Tehran / Michael M.J. Fischer
- 9. Ritual disjunctions : ghosts, philosophy, and anthropology / Michael Puett
- 10. Henri Bergson in highland Yemen / Steven C. Caton
- 11. Must we be bad epistemologists? Illusions of transparency, the opaque other, and interpretive foibles / Vincent Crapanzano
- 12. Action, expression, and everyday life : recounting household events / Veena Das.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780822357070 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0822357070 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780822357186 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0822357186 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2013042778
- OCLC: 862041322
- OCLC: 862041322