Book , Print in English
Pompeii and the Roman villa : art and culture around the Bay of Naples
Carol C. Mattusch.
- Washington : National Gallery of Art ; London : Thames and Hudson, 2008.
- xvi, 365 pages : colored illustrations maps ; 25 x 31 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower D LevelN5755.M38 2008 QUARTO c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Jun 30 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.Eisenhower D LevelN5755.M38 2008 QUARTO c. 2Checked outChecked out, Due: Feb 6 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "Julius Caesar, Caligula, Claudius and Nero all built seaside villas in Baiae; the emperor Augustus holidayed in Surrentum, Capreae and Pausilypon, and Tiberius retired to Capreae. The richly decorated imperial villas set high artistic standards in the region, and the sculptors and painters whom the emperors employed found clients among the urban and suburban elite in Pompeii and Herculaneum, Stabiae and Oplontis." "The magnificent contents of these sumptuously appointed villas and town houses are the subject of Pompeii and the Roman Villa, and with them the breadth and richness of cultural and artistic life that thrived around the Bay of Naples before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. Two related themes are interwoven through the essays: the influence of classical Greece on Roman art and culture around the bay, and the much later resurgence of this 'taste for the antique' in the modern world. An international team of experts, led by Carol C. Mattusch, examines this exquisite corpus of ancient Roman art, which is complemented by more than 350 lavish illustrations of paintings, sculpture, mosaics, frescoes, jewelry, glass and more."--BOOK JACKET.
- Introduction / Carol C. Mattusch
- Roman Villa on the Bay of Naples and Its Influence on Urban Domestic Architecture / Stefano De Caro
- Luxus / Kenneth Lapatin
- Staging the Supernatural: Interior Gardens of Pompeian Houses / Bellina Bergmann
- Art Collections on the Bay of Naples / Mary Beard
- Patrons and Proprietors
- Courtyards and Gardens
- Taste for the Antique
- Archaeology around the Bay of Naples: Past, Present, and Future / Pietro Giavanni Guzzo.
- Other information
- Catalog of an exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Oct. 19, 2008-Mar. 22, 2009; and at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art , May 3-Oct. 4, 2009.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 337-351) and index.
- 9780894683534 (alk. paper)
- 0894683535 (alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2008024399
- OCLC: 227016581
- OCLC: 227016581