Book , Print in English
Philip J. Deloria.
- New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, ©1998.
- 249 pages : illustrations; 25 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower B LevelE98.P99 D45 1998 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: May 24 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.Eisenhower B LevelE98.P99 D45 1998 c. 2Checked outChecked out, Due: Jun 13 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "The Boston Tea Party, the Order of Red Men, Camp Fire Girls, Boy Scouts, Grateful Dead concerts are just a few examples of the American tendency to appropriate Indian dress and act out Indian roles. This provocative book explores how white Americans have used their ideas about Indians to shape national identity in different eras - and how Indian people have reacted to these imitations of their native dress, language, and ritual." "Deloria points out that throughout American history the creative uses of Indianness have been interwoven with conquest and dispossession of the Indians. Indian play has thus been fraught with ambivalence - for white Americans who idealized and villainized the Indian, and for Indians who were both humiliated and empowered by these cultural exercises."--BOOK JACKET.
- Introduction: American Indians, American Identities
- 1. Patriotic Indians and Identities of Revolution
- 2. Fraternal Indians and Republican Identities
- 3. Literary Indians and Ethnographic Objects
- 4. Natural Indians and Identities of Modernity
- 5. Hobby Indians, Authenticity, and Race in Cold War America
- 6. Counterculture Indians and the New Age
- Conclusion: The Grateful Dead Indians.
- Other information
- Originally presented as the author's thesis (Ph. D.)--Yale University, 1994.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -241) and index.
- 0300071116 (alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 97030936
- OCLC: 37437539